Navigating the field of law can be challenging for most non-lawyers. At the same time, it is important for people to know what their rights are under the law, and to adhere to legal guidelines in their daily activities. In fact, it is common knowledge that ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
In order to make the right decisions, most people seek expert advice from law professionals regarding personal issues, their rights, and commercial responsibilities. Solicitors are law professionals who are responsible for giving expert legal advice to their clients. They hold consultations with clients, listen to their specific circumstances, and explain to them the legal ramifications. Therefore, seeking the services of a solicitor can pose numerous benefits for you or your business.
The Important role of solicitors
Solicitors play many important roles when providing legal advice. When you seek the services of a solicitor, you can expect the following:
- Review of your situation and whether the solicitor is in a position to provide appropriate legal advice, such as a commercial solicitor helping with business.
- Important advice on the ramifications of the law and other legal dimensions
- Help with processing necessary paperwork regarding your situation (such as contracts, letters, and applications
- Arranging and attending meetings with various parties regarding a legal situation
- Acting on your behalf and representing you in court, when necessary
- Preparing relevant court documents
- Calculating the claims of damages incurred or compensation to be provided to you.
Finding the right solicitor
Seeking recommendations from friends and family who have had positive experiences with a solicitor is one of the most effective ways of finding the right solicitor for your needs.
Share with your trusted friends what kind of legal advice you need and if they have had similar experiences. They can then point you in the direction of the most relevant professional.
Check the websites of professional associations
Most qualified solicitors are members of one or more professional associations. Depending on the state where you're located, you can find a solicitor by checking the local law society website. For example, those living in Queensland can check the Queensland Law Society to find a qualified solicitor.
Make sure they are properly licensed
Solicitors should be licensed by the relevant authorities in your state or local municipality. When you first meet with a solicitor, ensure that they are properly licensed to provide legal advice by having a current practicing certificate (according to the Legal Profession Act of 2004).